Paper review: Panic as FG launches war against NASS

Share it:

The national dailies for Monday, August 22, focus on the probe of senators and House of Representative members by the federal government over non executed constituency projects earmarked for them in the 2014 and 2015 budgets and the moves by the government to rescue the economy among others.

The Muhammadu Buhari led federal government is set to probe senators and House of Representative members  over non executed constituency projects earmarked for them in the 2014 and 2015 budgets.

The Punch newspaper Monday, August 22

The Punch newspaper Monday, August 22

Recall that recently, the former chairman, House committee on appropriation, Mr Abdulmumin Jibrin had petitioned the EFCC, ICPC, the police and the Department of State Services, alleging that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, and three other principal officers had requested the inclusion of N40bn projects in the 2016 budget, besides other projects in sums ranging from N20bn to N30bn.

According to the attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN) who revealed this to Punch newspaper, the sum of constituency projects totaled N200bn for the two years, that is, N100bn each year.

He revealed that the compilation was being done by the police, the EFCC and the ICPC

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari will be seeking emergency powers from the National Assembly to push his planned stimulus for the economy.

The Nation reports that the decision to seek emergency powers for the president was based on a proposal from the economic team headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo which reviewed the various policies so far introduced and how they have affected the economy.

The Nation newspaper, Monday, August 22.

The Nation newspaper, Monday, August 22.

The objectives of the action-plan on the economy, which is in recession, include shoring up the value of the naira, creation of more jobs, boosting of foreign reserves, reviving the manufacturing sector and improving power.

Still on the economy, the Guardian reports that high-profile debtors are using the courts to hinder the government’s effort at shoring up economic activities through debt recovery from individuals and organisations.

The Guardian newspaper, Monday, August 22

The Guardian newspaper, Monday, August 22

Findings by the Guardian reveals at least 10 of such individuals, referred to as the “big boys”, are collectively owing the government about N1 trillion, which is about 17 per cent of the N6 trillion 2016 national budget.

The managing director and chhief executive officer, Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), Mr. Ahmed Kuru, disclosed to The Guardian that these “big boys with big jets” had perfected the art of going to court to stop the debt-buying agency from taking possession of their assets.

He said: Obligors in court just want to buy time to continue to live with their lifestyles, which is more important to them than paying up their debts.

In other news, the federal government may deploy its fighter jets and troops to combat militants who have been bombing strategic national oil facilities

According to Vanguard, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, on Sunday, August 21, at media briefing in Abuja, said the jets might move in soon but did not give a specific date and the number of troops to be mobilized for the crucial assignment.

The Vanguard newspaper, Monday, August 22.

The Vanguard newspaper, Monday, August 22.

The CAS explained that the mission of the NAF was to preserve Nigeria’s sovereignty and protect lives and property in the Niger Delta.

He said: Our mandate is to protect the sovereignty of Nigeria. What we are doing is to protect oil infrastructure and the community.

“We are not going into the Niger Delta to fight militants or anybody, but to protect oil facilities and the people as guaranteed by the constitution of Nigeria.”

Meanwhile, the female lawyer, who was last week declared wanted by the Army, Aisha Wakil, has said that members of Boko Haram sect started bearing arms when they felt betrayed by the government.

The Sun newspaper, Monday, August 22

The Sun newspaper, Monday, August 22

Wakili told Daily Sun that the late Muhammed Yusuf, leader of Boko Haram, told her the group had been betrayed.

In her first major interview after she was declared wanted and granted administrative bail, she said when she found out that the group wanted to begin a war against the government, she tried to intervene.

She said: “I sent for him (Yusuf) and he came. He moved like a governor because he was loved by the group. I asked him: ‘my son, I have been hearing some rumours. Are they true?’ And he asked me what I had heard. I asked him if he was planning on starting a war and he said yes. They do not lie to me.”

On why Boko Haram wanted to start a war, Wakili said Yusuf stated that some of their members had had been killed, buried and that the government betrayed them.

“And I asked him why so. He said I was there when some of them were killed and buried. He said they would fight the government. I said it was not going to happen. I asked him if I could come in and he agreed. He said the government had betrayed the group, but he refused to tell me what the betrayal was all about. He said that they would call me and some elders and I will know how they were betrayed.”

The post Paper review: Panic as FG launches war against NASS appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read Naij.com 24/7.

loading...
Share it:

Latest Stories

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

We’re eager to see your comment. However, Please keep in mind that all comments are moderated according to our Comment Policy and all the links are nofollow. Using keywords in the name field area is forbidden.
Comment Using Either Disqus or Default Comment Mode.