Baga Massacre: What Happened To Town After B’Haram Onslaught

Share it:

One year after the deadliest Boko Haram massacre Baga town on Lake Chad in northeast Nigeria remains deserted as thousands of people were forced to flee their home.

baga

Deserted Baga town. File photo

Lots of men, women and children were killed in the Nigerian towns of Baga and Doron Baga on January 3, 2015, when Boko Haram insurgents launched a fierce attack.

The total number of dead remains unclear as Nigerian army claims that only 150 Nigerians were killed, while some other sources say that up to 2,000 people died.

It is hard to believe now that town is used to be a lively trading centre of 200,000 residents, where merchants would travel to sell cattle, leather goods and trade fresh produce.

READ ALSO: 

Muhammad Alhaji Bukar, who was forced to leave the town after the terrorits attacks, said: “Baga is still deserted, we are all living in camps and homes of friends and relatives in Maiduguri because we are scared of returning home.”

The Nigerian army recaptured Baga in March and soldiers patrol its dusty streets today.

With only 1000 Nigerians living now in Baga the town’s lasting emptiness shows how difficult it is to get people back home and renew peace to the battered northeast region.

The scheme of the Boko Haram attacks

The scheme of the Boko Haram attacks

The Nigerian military and forces from neighbouring countries, have over the last year been able to flush the insurgents out from taken towns, but is not able to stop the Boko Haram members from regrouping in the surrounding villages and bush.

Spurned not crushed, the militants had found cover near Baga in the little islands lined with tall grass that dot the freshwater lake.
As Bukar Kori, head of the Baga’s traders union, said: “We can’t return to Baga yet, it is still not safe, especially with Boko Haram lurking on nearby islands.”

READ ALSO: 

Today, an estimated 700 people are living in Baga, with the majority the town’s former residents staying in Maiduguri.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s government going into 2016, the militant sect keeps to wreak havoc by sending out suicide attackers, sometimes in groups.

Last weekend in an attack that continued for 48 hours, the terrorists stormed Maiduguri unleashing “dozens” of suicide bombers, killing at least 22 people.

The post Baga Massacre: What Happened To Town After B’Haram Onslaught appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.

loading...
Share it:

Latest Stories

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

We’re eager to see your comment. However, Please keep in mind that all comments are moderated according to our Comment Policy and all the links are nofollow. Using keywords in the name field area is forbidden.
Comment Using Either Disqus or Default Comment Mode.