$2.1b Arms Deal Probe: EFCC Makes Another Step

Share it:

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is reportedly to start the second round of investigation into the scandalous $2.1billion arms deal on January 3.

The Nation reports with reference to its sources that the agency will consider money expenditure on security vehicles for the Republic of Niger from October 2013 and April 2014.

The body is also to question the former finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, some military tops who served under Goodluck Jonathan’s administration in connection with the $2.1billion arms deal.

One of the sources said that the completion of the second phase of the probe might lead to more arrests, as it had .

“We are beginning the second phase of the ongoing investigation of the $2.1billion arms deals on Monday. From the preliminary findings, the scandal is mind-boggling.

“We are going to question more high-profile serving and former public officers, including a former minister of finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on the release of some funds.

“We want the ex-minister to shed more light on how about $322million was disbursed to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA).

READ ALSO:

“Some serving and former military chiefs will have to respond to issues which we have already isolated for clarification.”

The list of purchased military items has been obtained and companies that supplied them have been contacted, the source said.

Regarding the case against Diezani Alison-Madueke, dating back to October 2 when the former petroleum minister and four others were arrested by the International Corruption Unit (ICU), the probe has been reportedly intensified.

An EFCC source said:

“We have been collaborating with NCA on Diezani’s case which has reached an appreciable level. We have the details of others arrested with Diezani but we will not disclose until the matter gets to a convenient bend.

“So far, we have been comparing notes with NCA on a faster note in terms of tracking a few transactions and documents. There is no hiding place for the ex-Minister and her alleged accomplices.

“By the time the trial begins, the NCA and EFCC would have established a solid case against the ex-minister and other suspects.”

Meanwhile the Peoples Democratic Party yesterday blasted the acting government over “persecuting, and not prosecuting, Col. Sambo Dasuki.”

The opposition party insisted that . The All Progressive Congress is evidently looking for destruction of the PDP so that it can push through Buhari’s second term in 2019 without opposition, the statement reads.

The post $2.1b Arms Deal Probe: EFCC Makes Another Step appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.

loading...
Share it:

Latest Stories

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

We’re eager to see your comment. However, Please keep in mind that all comments are moderated according to our Comment Policy and all the links are nofollow. Using keywords in the name field area is forbidden.
Comment Using Either Disqus or Default Comment Mode.